This competition is a qualifier (for the Grade 1 Overall Winner) to gain an invite to the inaugural World Amateur Champion of Champions Solo Piping Competition, which is an invitational contest featuring the top 10 amateur solo pipers selected from qualifying events across the globe.
This CLASP competition will run on Saturday 3rd February 2024 via the platform, Zoom. The closing date for this competition is Sunday 14th January 2024 at midnight (UK Time). Events will be offered to adult amateur pipers graded 1, 2, 3, 4/5 and both Light Music and Piobaireachd events will be offered for all four grades. Please note that pipers graded 5 can play up in grade 4 events.
Competitors will play 'Live', but will use a video recording to capture their live performance and should send this unedited video recording later that day to email@example.com. When you enter the Zoom meeting, there will be assigned breakout rooms for the different events. There will be a steward to help competitors navigate Zoom on the day. CLASP members can click into any of the named breakout rooms to listen to the competitions or if you are competing in that event. Each competitor will be given a time slot to compete in their Piobaireachd event and a separate time slot to compete in their Light Music event. (We will work around different time zones).
The order of play, performance times and the selected tunes (for Grade 1 and Grade 2) will be published one week prior to the competition date on The CLASP website. Please email tune submissions by Sunday 14th January 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you enter a breakout room (for example 'Grade 2 - Piobaireachd' breakout room) you will be asked, at your designated performance time slot, to start your video recording device and a steward will then introduce you and that will verify the recording. For example, 'This is Mary MacLeod playing The Little Spree for The CLASP 'Live online' February 3rd, 2024 competition' and away you go, with a bit of tuning if you need to (but not too much). If using a mobile phone to video your recording, please put it on flight mode.
Later that day, you should upload your video to you tube as an unlisted video. A video link for Piobaireachd and a separate video link for Light Music (Including all Light Music events) should be emailed by midnight on the 11th November 2023 to email@example.com
Piobaireachd - Grades 1,2,3&4/5 - Please note that Grade 4 pipers can opt to play a full Piobaireachd in Grade 3 if they wish (no points will be allocated for this) as well as Ground and next variation (which carry league points for grade 4).
2/4 March Event - Grades 1, 2,3,4/5
Strathspey & Reel Event - Grades 1,2,3,4/5
6/8 March Event- Grade 1,2.3, 4/5
Please click on the link to see tune requirements for each grade/event- https://theclasp.co.uk/set-tunes/#requirements
Important information to remember for competitors -(PLEASE READ ALL)
- This is a 'live' VIDEO submission competition and competitors should use the Zoom meeting details as the platform to perform ‘live’ on Saturday 3rd February 2023. All video links should be uploaded and emailed as You tube video links to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on the 3rd February 2023. Please make sure you set your video as Unlisted. The judge will be unable to open a video that is set to Private.
- I would suggest not to use Zoom as your means of recording you video performance. My advice is to use a separate device such as a good quality Mobile Phone or whatever you have used in the past (that gives a clear recording quality). *Remember to place your mobile phone on flight mode if you are using it as a video recording device.
- I would recommend using a separate device (to the one you plan to video record your performance with) for connecting with the Zoom performance platform. A laptop/computer/tablet or a separate mobile phone device for example. If you do get disconnected at any point after the steward has introduced you, just keep going with your performance and leave the video running. Do not stop the video until the end of your performance.
- Please be in your assigned breakout/performance room, ready to play at your allotted time slot. I would ask that you are muted when warming up and that you unmute when it is your time to compete. Please keep an eye on the time when you are warming up so you are not late for your performance slot.
- The Steward will ask you to turn on your video device at your allocated performance time and will announce you. The stewards’ announcement at the start of the video is what verifies the performance so it is really important that this is captured at the start of the Light Music performance and at the start of the Piobaireachd performance. Videos should not be edited.
- Please remember that ALL light music events are played in your assigned performance time slot, but competitors can re-tune or stop between events. An Example of the order for light music... The steward will ask the competitor to Turn on their video recording device, The steward will announce you, and the competitor starts- tune if you need to, play your 2/4 March…… stop/re-tune/drink water but don't stop the video.... Play your Strathspey/Reel... Stop/re-tune/drink water/, but don’t stop the video….Play your Jig/6/8 March and then stop your video recording device.
- It is useful for the judges if you add your name and tune names in the You tube description box when uploading the video.
- Allow enough time to upload your videos to You Tube.
- Results will be announced via live video on Thursday 22nd February at 5pm via The CLASP Facebook page. Results will also be published on BagpipeNews Good luck to all competing!